Ruminating On Rumi

As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.

~ M. Rumi

Friday, February 8, 2013

Breath by Breath


Spiritual yearnings and a desire to self awareness started when very young. Preteen, I recollect. I distinctly remember realizing that breath had something to do with it.
I looked through card catalogues and book indexes (no Google then) for a clue. Yes, there was the breath by breath automatic inhalation and exhalation that sustained life but I felt on a gut level there was something more. I was puzzled until years later through meditation and yoga did I learn that it was not that we breathed but how we breathe.  

Being mindful of the inhale and the exhale and the still points between inhalation and exhalation connects us to this moment as it is. When we pause and bring attention to the breath we have the great and grand opportunity to truly be present. 

As you rush through your daily activities stop and ponder the breath. Am I gasping for air? Is my breath shallow? Is the breath frantic? The answers are pointers to our whole being, our mind, body, spiritual connection. When we listen to the breath, we have a window on our emotional state. Am I stressed? Balanced? Tired? Angry? Happy? Sad? 
When that light of awareness is shone, we then have a choice, with the breath to realize equanimity and come back to this moment where life is unfolding before our eyes. And yet there is a paradox, a moment that takes our breath away, is a moment of true connectedness and oneness in the wholeness of presence. 

Breathe deep and awaken to the knowing that you are life itself.  This is it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment