Ruminating On Rumi

As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.

~ M. Rumi

Thursday, February 28, 2013

This Breath Breathes Me



This breath breathes me.

How can this be expressed in words, the flimsy cloak of the fleetings of mind? How to express the inexplicable liveliness of the conscious breath from base of spine to crown of the head? It is an energetic enlivening whisper of consciousness.  

Yet mostly the breath that breathes us without thought or condition is involuntary, autonomic. Imagine if breath required our gratitude.  

Inhale, stillness, exhale, stillness, inhale... an endless cycle of being breathed. Until, physical illness or mental stress quickly brings breath to mind. Until we gasp for breath or hold the breath we may not be aware of this unconscious consciousness.  

Vision breathing with mindful gratitude.  Imagine a world consciously breathing together and knowing that we share this gift.  

I step outside and fill my lungs with the cool winter-into-spring air. My nostrils flare and I savour its initial crispness and then as breath warms through throat, flowing through upper chest and then sinking deep into the belly, I am flooded with gratitude. 

This moment breathes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment