Ruminating On Rumi

As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.

~ M. Rumi

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

One For The Boomers!!

Okay, let's give credit where credit is due.  Perhaps, one of the greatest retro fashion statements from the boomers is the "stretchy jean".  Oh how self serving is this perfect garment that fits round bodies that were once not. Or, in my case, the ever-round body.  


Image shamelessly borrowed from Zazzle.com
I remember the torture of watching my friends squeeze their lithe bodies into freshly washed Levis. Jeans which somehow shrunk a whole size or two smaller in the dryer. We were clever back then though, either put the jeans on slightly damp or once you have the jeans up over your thighs and butt, lay down on the bed, hold your breath and wrestle the zipper shut.  A few deep knee bends and you're ready to rock and roll. Mind you, squatting too frequently could cause baggy knees. Another requirement of the cooly groovy attired was to peek over your shoulder and check the length of the pants, flood pants could completely outcast. And always the big question, "Do these jeans make my butt look big?" 

I don't know if as a teenager in my $5 a pair Levis and my $5 a pair North Star running shoes would I ever consider wearing a stretchy jean.  I'm sure it would've been so square. Now a jean with a little elastic in it makes me smile. Enough elastic to hold in the bulgy bits and still let me breath with ease. 

And that is a great advancement fellow boomers!

No comments:

Post a Comment